Setting up an account:
Open Internet Explorer.
Select Tools from the menu at
the top of the screen. See Picture
Select Mail and News from the
drop-down menu that appears.
Click on Read News. See Picture
Enter your name in the display name
field, and click Next. See Picture
Enter your e-mail address in the
e-mail address field, and click Next.
(We Reccomend not using a real email address)
- Type your news server address (Ex. news.usenetserver.com) in the News (NTTP) server field,
and click Next. See Picture
Note: You are not configuring the mail server, just the news server.
to plug in for both incoming and outgoing mail servers varies depending
on your ISP [your Internet Service Provider -- This information can be found in the support section of your ISP's website.
Below are examples of a typical ISP's mail servers:
- Incoming mail server: mail.charter.net ;
- outgoing/smtp server: smtp.charter.net.
Subscribing to a newsgroup:
To subscribe to a newsgroup, click
Newsgroups. See Picture
Select a newsgroup from the scroll-down
menu and click Subscribe. See Picture
Click OK. Your newsgroup will
be listed in the left folders panel under news.usenetserver.com.
Posting on a newsgroup:
To post a message, select your newsgroup
from the left folders panel. See Picture
If you have not enabled your toolbar,
do so at this time by right-clicking near the top of the window.
A drop-down menu will appear with Toolbar and Views
Bar. Click Toolbar. See Picture
From the toolbar, click New Post.
A New Message window will open.
- Type your subject in the Subject field.
- Type your message in the message field (as for an e-mail message)
and click Send.
Replying to a message:
Double-click on the subject in the
Subject menu. A new window will open, with the message inside
Choose one of the two reply buttons:
Click Reply Group to send
a public response to the entire group.
- Click Reply to respond privately to an individual.
- If you wish, delete the original posting, or unnecessary parts,
from the message body.
- Type your response into the message body and click Send.